Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Eat Pray Love - My Own Journey


I watched Julia Roberts play Liz Gilbert in the film Eat, Pray, Love today. I have not read the book and I must admit it is not the type of book that would attract me in a shop. I think I must have been mistaken. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and it really did touch me, deeply. I could see many common elements. Perhaps it was the honesty of the character in the story and the way she reached out to women the world over. The audience almost completely consisted of women today. Perhaps it was her portrayal of Italy. I love Italy and I could relate to it in every sense; the food, the people, the language, the gesticulations just everything about it. Her quest for spirituality was something I dived into right after my own little trauma. And of course, the third dimension of love was just a sheer expression of hope. It was a lovely ending to what seemed like a harrowing emotional time for her. I particularly loved what she said at the end of the film. These are not the exact words but it went something along the lines of...

if you have the courage to give up your comforts and your home to venture towards a journey of self-discovery and you accept everything that happens to you on that journey and you learn from the people you meet along the way then the truth will be revealed to you in the end. It is something to truly believe in.

It seems we all have our own little journey of self-discovery. Not necessarily in the physical sense. It could be in one’s own mind. I know I have done it over and over again in my head. Perhaps now is the time to actually follow by example. I spent the last year out of my comfort zone. New place, new people and came back with a new outlook on life. I found myself completely transformed. It was not something I was seeking out. There is a thing about journeys of self-discovery. Change will always be the outcome; guaranteed, every time. There is another thing about these journeys. They are self-perpetuating. One always leads to another, maybe at a different level. I do feel the winds of change calling out at me again. It is only a matter of when I will be off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment