Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My First Knitting Project


I recently took up knitting. Suddenly faced with an overwhelming amount of time on my hands, this was something I was not used to at all. For the longest time I was always busy racing against time to do more. So with time aplenty, I needed something to fiddle with and to distract my mind from a million rushing thoughts. 

The first few attempts were just about playing with wool on a pair of needles. I thought I would be ambitious and try a scarf or a hat or even a pair of gloves. It was a bit more complicated than I first thought, however, and it took me time to get used to the knitting terminology. Anyway with my little niece due to arrive in a couple of months I thought of a perfect baby shower pressie for my sis - a baby blanket. The plan is that if I successfully completed the blanket then I would knit a matching pair of baby mittens, beanie and socks! I found this gorgeous patchwork patten online and it was really simple to do - only time consuming. So now three months later I'm almost done. The patches of yellow, blue, green, pink and orange have been sewn together and I'm working on a border.

Here's a few pictures:

Before sewing them all together

A close up of the sewn up patches

Baby blanket
Now I just need to get the border along the edges and I'm all done - my first ever knitting project!

No comments:

Post a Comment